I can't post in certain sections???

Discuss anything MiNi related!

I can't post in certain sections???

Postby STF_U » Sun May 06, 2012 1:56 pm

It would seem I am not allowed to post in the "Club Events" or "Suggestions and Ideas" sections.

Is this a newbie thing? Do I have to obtain a certain number of posts first?
STF_U

Re: I can't post in certain sections???

Postby danjmcs » Sun May 06, 2012 6:48 pm

STF_U wrote:It would seem I am not allowed to post in the "Club Events" or "Suggestions and Ideas" sections.
Is this a newbie thing? Do I have to obtain a certain number of posts first?

Did you send in your DMC membership application or just signed up on the forum as a user? There are some sections of the forum that are only available as viewable unless your a club member as well.

If you are a DMC club member already, this username must not have gotten on the roster to be setup with member access which the Club Treasurer Louis can confirm.

If you haven't joined up, this page/link below has the info on how to become a DMC club member and get full access to the forums, event info and our Facebook Members page as well:
http://www.dynamicminicollective.org/join.html
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby STF_U » Mon May 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Thank you sir I will do that

EDIT: I think I will pass since it costs $25 a year. Just a thought here: but since this forum has seen better days member wise perhaps making membership free would be a great way to increase forum/club activity???
STF_U

Postby azdavis » Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 am

Hey STF_U

My name is Craig and I am one of the Phoenix area co-Chairs... Not sure if you are in the Phoenix are or another part of the state.

Your right, the Forum doesn't get as much activity as it use to, I think a lot of people default to the Facebook site which is currently only open to members.. But... We are in the process of updating the website ...

The forum and Facebook club postings is just one spot the your membership gets you... Feel free to attend one of our up coming events, talk to a few members and check us out a bit more...

Some of our events we hold on a regular basis:
1st Sunday Coffee and Donuts
2nd Sunday Sweets
Fun Run - varies each month
3rd Saturday Car show at the Pavilions
Go Kart night (every other month)
International Food Night (IFN) - every other month)

We also try to mix in different things not part of the routine, we have been known to meet Friday mornings for Coffee in Gilbert (Early - 5:30am)

We are also going to be doing give-aways at the various club events held here in town to the members who attend..

Additionally being a member gets you discounts at a few places in town, Mini of Tempe, Mini North Scottsdale, and EuroTechs in Tempe.

Hope to see you soon.
azdavis

Postby STF_U » Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks azdavis.

I am in the Phoenix area, and I know my wife and I try to make as many meets as we can, but it's tough since I work weekends.

Plus, we are poor, so I think we will pass on the membership for now, thank you.
STF_U

Postby AZMini » Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 pm

azdavis wrote:Your right, the Forum doesn't get as much activity as it use to, I think a lot of people default to the Facebook site which is currently only open to members.. But... We are in the process of updating the website ...

And there lies the problem with promoting the club and getting new members. From this forum, which is all non-members see, the club looks pretty boring so who would want to join? Nothing goes on here. Everything is on a secret hidden Facebook page that only members get the secret code to. First impressions are everything. Can potential members really get a good first impression of the club here? Nope. This club can't just be a Facebook friends club. That just won't work. There are a lot of people who refuse to do Facebook so they will get left out in the cold even if they do join. In my opinion, you need to bring the activity back to this forum and drop the Facebook thing. Before Facebook, this forum was hopping. Now, not so much. See the thread DB posted. A lot of good points there. There really isn't much done to promote this club and a lot done to hide it. Why?

Open the club back up. Bring it back to the forum. Stop hiding. Things will improve. You shouldn't have to know someone or be part of a friends group to enjoy it fully.
Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late.
The cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder
I'm an over forty victim of fate, arriving too late.
AZMini
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby STF_U » Wed May 09, 2012 12:03 am

^Couldn't agree more
STF_U

Postby 66Cooper » Wed May 09, 2012 7:47 am

I will admit that I miss seeing the activity here on the forums that we used to have. As I have been told, clubs "evolve" and communication changes as the times change.

Our Tucson chapter is trying to get better about posting to the Facebook AND the DMC Forum about our events, but we mostly use email and always have to communicate our local events. That is one reason we have an email address and a telephone number listed on this site under our chapter information. Most of our chapter does not come to the forum or Facebook much.

The DMC events are for members and non members are welcome to come along on a fun run to get to know the groups. There were problems in the past of people who did not contribute and wanted to take advantage of what should have been membership only privileges, those are the folks that caused things to be more strict about requiring membership and some hidden features both on the forums and on Facebook.

It is those paying members that provide the income to pay for the bandwidth, the insurance, the prizes, postage and goodies that the club provides, and as I see it there will be even more things coming in the near future. The DMC is a private club and our event insurance coverage can not be extended to the general public to participate, that is for the members. I'm sorry for carrying on way too much there, it is too much to explain in one or two paragraphs.

Anyway, if membership dues is something that doesn't fit into the budget right now, I understand things are tough and you have to stretch a dollar where you can.

I enjoy seeing new posts on the forum, I visit them every day just hoping people have posted something. So keep positive and enjoy your MiNis everybody!

Happy Motoring!
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Postby 66Cooper » Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 am

Oh, and besides the regular events that were mentioned earlier in the Phoenix area, plus the normal partial day fun runs. The newly planned upcoming Weekend events are going to be a blast. Granted those overnight and long weekend trips will be a little pricey adding a hotel room to your fuel costs, but I hope folks can get out and enjoy those events with us as well.

Tucson has our dinner and breakfast events that keep us moving around the city but we plan on exploring more of the state than just the South East corner that we "usually do".

Membership allows participation in all chapters events, not just your "home chapter".
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Postby STF_U » Wed May 09, 2012 12:30 pm

66Cooper wrote:
There were problems in the past of people who did not contribute and wanted to take advantage of what should have been membership only privileges,

I am curious, exactly what things should members be allowed to have that non-members shouldn't have?

Also, an idea from previous car forums I have been on: instead of not allowing non-members to do, what is in my opinion, essential things like post in all sections of the forum and be able to view the facebook page, why not allow those things for non-members but allow extras for members? For example: (here again idea from past forums I have been on) paid members can use color text, change their username, have bigger/more avatar choices, have a bigger signature. Things like that that are not, IMO, essential.
STF_U

Postby 66Cooper » Wed May 09, 2012 2:14 pm

The member privileges I mean are coming to events, tagging along on fun runs, trying to set up events or have input in the planning without being members.

This is not an online forum, this is a car club. The forum is just something that the club provided as a means for members and non members to communicate. I think too many people confuse those two concepts.

There are many forums out there and many of them consider themselves to be "clubs". This one started out as a car club that had an online forum.

The primary areas that non members can't post in has to do with member events and planning and areas specific to each chapter. The reason those were left viewable in the past was so that non members could get a glimpse of the activities and perhaps decide to try one or join.

It was discovered a long time ago that some people just don't want to be a part of the club but do they want to be part of discussion, so most of the areas that matter for discussion were left as open forums.
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Postby azdavis » Wed May 09, 2012 2:26 pm

I just like to drive my car :) Anyone is welcome to come along with me :D
azdavis

Postby KMPSSBL » Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm

azdavis wrote:I just like to drive my car :) Anyone is welcome to come along with me :D

We might have to take you up on that!
2009 BRG/silver R55 - MINE
2006 PW/black R53 JCW - HUSBAND'S
North Phoenix
KMPSSBL

Return to General Board