DRP - FunRun to LA - Petersen Auto Museum Jan 25-27 BookNow!

Discuss upcoming and old DMC events

DRP - FunRun to LA - Petersen Auto Museum Jan 25-27 BookNow!

Postby danjmcs » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:14 am

** 1/24/08 - Confirmed Tour counts with Petersen - 25 Minis, 39 People!
**1/23/08 - Hotel room block expired/released to public.
** 1/21/08 - Update from Lex/SCMM Participation!
** 1/18/08 - Added Depature Time/Location
** 1/15/08 - Update from SCMM Folks that are joining us on Saturday!
** 1/8/08 - Added "Breakfast at the Beach" - Coogies Beach Cafe - Topanga Canyon - Mulholland Drive
** 12/19/07 - Added new exhibit info on Hot Wheels/Bandit
** 11/30/07 UPDATED - Hotel Room Info is posted!
Please click the link below for reservation information posted later in this thread.
Block of rooms is good until January 10th, so be sure to reserve before that!

http://www.dynamicminicollective.org/fo ... ght=#38789

A couple months ago I was channel surfing and came across a show on the Fine Living channel that was about "not to miss" museums in the USA. One of those featured was the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, CA. They showed some really great cars on the show and at the end of the show listed the website address for the museum. I popped out there, and low and behold, one of the current exhibitions is on MicroCars! Well this just seemed like more than reason enough to plan a DRP road trip! Of course everyone in the DMC is invited to join us!

Sooooo, today I received confirmation back from the museum on the date I requested and we'll be making an overnight trip to Los Angeles, CA to visit the Petersen Automotive Museum the weekend of January 25th to 27th, 2008! This weekend falls in between Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale, as well as the Superbowl, and is hopefully far enough away from the holidays that your ready for a road trip!

Our reservation for the club is at 2:30PM on Saturday the 26th. With the club reservation, we get special discounted entry to the museum as well as free parking for anyone driving a Mini. The basic plan right now is to leave late afternoon Friday and arrive in LA for dinner somewhere and then attend the Museum at 2:30 on Saturday.

I chose the 2:30pm time on Saturday so that those that would prefer to drive over Saturday morning will still have plenty of time to attend the museum event, and then possibly stay over Sunday. Some may want to make a 3-day weekend, Friday-Sunday, and some a 2-day, Fri-Sat, or Sat-Sun, and that gives everyone a lot of flexibility to make the club event, as well as plan some other things they may want to do while in the LA area.

I'm still in discussion with members of both http://www.scmm.org/ and http://moala.org/ for them to join us at possibly both the Petersen and/or a run/dinner Friday and Saturday. One of them has a monthly car show at a local coffee shop they attend the last Sunday morning of the month, so thats something thats also a possibility for us on Sunday morning as well.

Still hammering out some of those details, but it's shaping up to be a lot of fun I think.

Hotel room reservation/block information has been posted later in the thread, or you can get to that post directly by clicking on the link below:
http://www.dynamicminicollective.org/fo ... ght=#38789

Homepage for the Peteresen Automotive Museum
http://www.petersen.org/

Info on the MicroCar Exhibit
http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?docid=1057

"Breakfast on the Beach" - Coogies Beach Cafe, Malibu
Saturday morning, we'll be making a run up the Pacific Coast Highway from our hotel, to grab a bite of breakfast and take in the beatiful scenery of Malibu. Then we'll hit the Canyons with a route courtesy of SCMM and head to the Petersen. We are meeting the SCMM guys at Coogies at 8:00-8:15AM.
http://coogies.malibu.menuclub.com/

Just got this from the President of the SCMM -
It looks like we're getting good responses from my club members on doing an all day social with you guys. Our VP and Roadmaster, Craig Degarmo, is also coming up with a fun twisty route in between Coogie's and the Petersen - it will be a shortened version of our "Mother Of All Twisties" run we did last year. Lots of fun. We also coming up with some ideas for places to eat after the Petersen. I will give you a headcount later, but after just one day posting we have 15 people interested.

If you plan to make this event, or make reservations with the hotel, please RSVP in this thread or to me via email at dan@coopahs.com so that we can begin to get an idea of attendance.

For those making the run, we'll meet at the Starbucks just off the I10 and the 101.

Starbucks Map Link
10030 W Mcdowell Rd # 160
Avondale, AZ 85392
(623) 907-0917

Meet at 3PM, depart at 3:15 or whenever we all arrive and are ready to hit the road! Be gassed up, radios in hand, and ready to have a good time :)

Dan- We have 16 MINIs and 3 tentative participating in this Saturday's Coogie's Breakfast, Twisty Runs, and Petersen Museum. For the Petersen, I think we will have 25 people (including kids). Craig, our RoadMaster, has come up with some great twisty routes. He did a pre-run this past weekend and said the roads were good and views stunning. For an early dinner and drinks, some of my members are suggesting the Grove which is near a historical landmark ~ the Farmers' Market. It is basically a big Mall and very close to the Petersen. We look forward to seeing you guys this Saturday. All the best, Lex
Last edited by danjmcs on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby SilverNewt » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:04 am

count me in!
-Scott Michalak
c.623-694-4652
SilverNewt
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby JPMINITUCSON » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:25 am

Count us in, too!

I worked for Bob Petersen (Motor Trend, Car Craft, Hot Rod, 4-Wheel & Off-Road, Guns & Ammo, Hunting Magazines) from 1980 - 1991.

Our offices were at the corner of Sunset & La Cienega. The studio where they shot a lot of the cars featured in Hot Rod and Car Craft was next door in what was Howard Hughes old digs.

Before Bob started the museum, he used to drive many of the cars in his collection to work where we would drool over them at lunch time.

Bob was a true American Original. He started the first hot rod show in LA, from which grew Hot Rod magazine. He was 16 years old!

He used to eat everyday at Scandia restaurant on Sunset Blvd. One day the owner told him he ate there so often he ought to buy the place. He did and made his wife Margie (a former beauty queen) the manager. And we were expected to have our business lunches there. I never acquired a taste for gravlax. We also had some wild office parties!

Bob had a great love of the west and owned a working cattle ranch just 45 minutes north of LA in the Leona Valley, just down the road from where Patty and I lived.

Bob was an avid hunter and adorned the office with his trophies, including a full size polar bear that greeted you when you got off the elevator. The legend has it that his guide's rifle jammed when the bear charged at them. Bob pulled out his Colt 45 and dropped him with one shot.

My last job at Petersen was to trim the fat from the manufacturing division and squeeze the contracts with printers and pre-prep vendors. Bob wanted to retire. From what would be a $450 million cash sale, he put in over $30 million into the Petersen Auto Museum. Bob passed away last March but has left a truly remarkable collection.
Last edited by JPMINITUCSON on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
'81 Aussie Moke Californian
'61 Morris Mini-Minor
'71 Cooper 'S' MKIII
'76 Mini 1000
'13 MINI Cooper
JPMINITUCSON
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby It Works » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:29 am

Wow small world. Cool story! :)
'06 MCS JCW, Aero, Bilstein PSS9's SB/S
'06 MCS JCW GP
It Works

Postby scuzzlepook » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:31 pm

We are in!!! :bounce:
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Jet Black 2009 BMW 135i
first love: IB/W 2004 MCS; Second love AB/AB 2007 JCW MCS
Image Image
scuzzlepook
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby danjmcs » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:42 pm

It Works wrote:Wow small world. Cool story! :)

Yep, very cool for sure.

They have a nice "In Memory" article about Mr. Petersen on their site too.
http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?Doc ... icleID=200

Should have some hotel info shortly and a few more details to finalize in the next week or so.
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

la fun run

Postby marcus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:40 pm

i am interested :D
marcus

Postby danjmcs » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Hotel Room Block is in Place!

We'll be staying at the Four Points Sheraton - West Los Angeles. It's approximately 15 minutes from the Petersen Automotive Museum, and not far from a lot of other attractions and the water. The room block is for Friday, January 25th and Saturday January 26th, at $125 per night for either 2 Queens or 1 King Room. You can see more specific hotel amenity info at the link below. I've stayed at this hotel in the past and I know they've renovated the pool area and other areas since, so I know it's a nice place, especially at that rate for Los Angeles.

Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles Westside
5990 Green Valley Circle
Culver City, California 90230
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby JPMINITUCSON » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Reservation made! Look out LA LA Land!
Jon
'81 Aussie Moke Californian
'61 Morris Mini-Minor
'71 Cooper 'S' MKIII
'76 Mini 1000
'13 MINI Cooper
JPMINITUCSON
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby danjmcs » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Coolness Jon! :)

I was watching a show called "Celebrity Rides" on DIY and the series they just finished called "Burt Builds A Bandit" was about a totally custom re-built 77 Trans-Am, "Bandit" style like the one Burt Reynolds drive in the first Smokey and the Bandit movie. This "new" version that YearOne creates out of the shell of a 77 is powered by a 615HP 7.0 Liter V8 based on the same motor in the 2007 ZO6 Corvette. It's a monster all the way around.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dbb ... 57,00.html

The final delivery of the car to Burt from Year One was at the Petersen Museum, and the car was on display there afterwards, but I'm not sure if it still is or not. The end of that episode gives you a real quick look at the inside of the museum.

You can see/read more about the car that Year One built at this link:
http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/bandit
Last edited by danjmcs on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby danjmcs » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:24 pm

Also, for those of you into "Hot Wheels", they just added a new Featured Exhibit called "The Hot Wheels Hall of Fame" that is back at the museum as of December 21st.
[quote]After a brief hiatus, the Hot Wheels
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby th3118 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:29 am

Dan are planning to go Friday, come back Sunday? If so, I will make the same plans.
Todd

th3118

Postby danjmcs » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:05 am

th3118 wrote:Dan are planning to go Friday, come back Sunday? If so, I will make the same plans.

Yep, thats the plan we are doing. Like a late afternoon, early evening run over in time to grab some dinner somewhere Friday night, museum on Saturday and trying to mix in some other ideas with some locals :) MarioKart is going to see about a good route and run idea while we are there too, probably Saturday evening.
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby th3118 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:26 pm

I'm booked for Friday and Saturday nights. :D
Looking forward to seeing some little cars.
Todd

th3118

Postby Sanbient » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Won't be able to make it...Going to be geeking it out here ( http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/ ). :D

Take lots of pictures though.

Michael
gplus.to/sanbient
twitter.com/sanbient
facebook.com/sanbient
Sanbient

Next

Return to Club Events