Proposal aims to ban license-plate covers

Dedicated to unrelated topics...

Proposal aims to ban license-plate covers

Postby danjmcs » Wed May 21, 2008 6:06 pm

I don't think I've seen many of these on club cars, maybe a couple, but just an FYI if this goes through, or you were thinking about getting one.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... e0521.html
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby driverphil » Wed May 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Fine by me.
exactly & approximately
driverphil
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby azminiman » Wed May 21, 2008 8:31 pm

HEY! and other reason to get pulled over :lol:
[b]Former DMC founding member, 1st new MINI owner in AZ, 10 time AMVIV, 3 time MITM, 3 time MTTS, 2 time MINI United England-France. Visitor to 80 MINI dealers in US, 10 Canadian, and 6 European countries.[/b]
azminiman
DMC Member
DMC Member

Re: Proposal aims to ban license-plate covers

Postby Carey934 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:37 pm

danjmcs wrote:I don't think I've seen many of these on club cars, maybe a couple, but just an FYI if this goes through, or you were thinking about getting one.

Wow, they sure going to a lot of trouble for devices that others on this board believe don't work...

Something tells me the company that makes the cameras is losing a siginificant amount of revenue because of their deal with the state, so they pay lobbyists and others in the government to pass laws that are in their best interest.

Clearly, these plate covers do work. I have them on all of my cars. I've never had a police officer tell me it has to be removed and I see them on practically every car when I drive in Scottsdale.
Carey934

Postby minisaz » Wed May 21, 2008 10:53 pm

according to Mythbusters none of them work.
Tim
Cars built for small spaces...Go more places.
minisaz

Postby Carey934 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:55 pm

minisaz wrote:according to Mythbusters none of them work.

So why ban them if they don't work?
Carey934

Postby minisaz » Wed May 21, 2008 10:57 pm

Carey934 wrote:
minisaz wrote:according to Mythbusters none of them work.

So why ban them if they don't work?

Cause they can...anything to give another ticket... add revenue
Tim
Cars built for small spaces...Go more places.
minisaz

Postby Carey934 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:04 pm

You don't think the company that maintains the cameras has anything to do with this proposed bill?

I'd bet they are. I wonder how we can find out...
Carey934

Postby Sanbient » Wed May 21, 2008 11:14 pm

Carey934 wrote:
danjmcs wrote:I don't think I've seen many of these on club cars, maybe a couple, but just an FYI if this goes through, or you were thinking about getting one.

Wow, they sure going to a lot of trouble for devices that others on this board believe don't work...

Something tells me the company that makes the cameras is losing a siginificant amount of revenue because of their deal with the state, so they pay lobbyists and others in the government to pass laws that are in their best interest.

Clearly, these plate covers do work. I have them on all of my cars. I've never had a police officer tell me it has to be removed and I see them on practically every car when I drive in Scottsdale.

And yet, wasn't there someone in this club who told you they got a ticket while having one of those on their cars? Hmm...lol

As far as your theory goes...I doubt it. It's probably like cellphone bans on airplanes. There's no document proof that it interferes with anything in the cockpit, but instead of wasting time and money to test every single one, they ban it.

Also more reason to write tickets...like North Carolina saying it's illegal to have more than two sets of lights mounted on your car -- my warning on the Dragon. Turns out they're illegal even if they are turned off (from how the law reads).

Then again, if you like your theory...I heard the oil company is trying to ban Mini's in the U.S. because they don't need oil changes every 1500 miles. lmao

Michael
gplus.to/sanbient
twitter.com/sanbient
facebook.com/sanbient
Sanbient

Postby Sanbient » Wed May 21, 2008 11:25 pm

These are current ones I found to cameras.

http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.a ... ber=SB1505 (extending signage and more requirements)

http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.a ... ber=SB1414 (here is license plates.) According to that list of sponsors, they are democrats. Usually big corporation taking over and lobbying is what those darn republicans do! lol Seriously though, that's all I could find for who's supporting it.

Michael
gplus.to/sanbient
twitter.com/sanbient
facebook.com/sanbient
Sanbient

Postby Carey934 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 am

Sanbient wrote:
Carey934 wrote:

And yet, wasn't there someone in this club who told you they got a ticket while having one of those on their cars? Hmm...lol

As far as your theory goes...I doubt it. It's probably like cellphone bans on airplanes. There's no document proof that it interferes with anything in the cockpit, but instead of wasting time and money to test every single one, they ban it.

Also more reason to write tickets...like North Carolina saying it's illegal to have more than two sets of lights mounted on your car -- my warning on the Dragon. Turns out they're illegal even if they are turned off (from how the law reads).

Then again, if you like your theory...I heard the oil company is trying to ban Mini's in the U.S. because they don't need oil changes every 1500 miles. lmao

Michael

Using your logic, if I don't have HIV it must be because I am immune. Therefore, HIV simply doesn't work with my body chemistry. Its juvenille to think a device like this would work every time or not work at all, and to conclude that if one recieves a ticket, the device is useless, yet if one does not recieve a ticket, the device had nothing to do with it.

I've never had a ticket since I put it on my cars. That suggests to me that it works - again, borrowing your loose definition of logic.
Carey934

Postby Carey934 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:32 am

Sanbient wrote:These are current ones I found to cameras.

http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.a ... ber=SB1505 (extending signage and more requirements)

http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.a ... ber=SB1414 (here is license plates.) According to that list of sponsors, they are democrats. Usually big corporation taking over and lobbying is what those darn republicans do! lol Seriously though, that's all I could find for who's supporting it.

Michael

I know how the law works. My question is who 'donated' to these sponsors to propose and back this legislation?

Republicans and Democrats represent two different names for the same thing. Which party sponsors the bill is just an irrelevant distraction. They each have big business in their back pockets. So the question remains who all of these sponsors accept campaign contributions from. That common demoninator among them will bare the truth to the matter one way or the other.
Carey934

Postby Carey934 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:50 am

It's quite a coincedence that the bill sponsors happen to represent districts in Arizona that are currently using Photo Radar equipment.

Hmmm...
Carey934

Postby deemotored » Thu May 22, 2008 3:41 am

Carey, you've never gotten a ticket cuz you don't SPEED! :wink: I should really follow your example. :D
deemotored
DMC Founding Member
DMC Founding Member

Postby Carey934 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:00 am

deemotored wrote:Carey, you've never gotten a ticket cuz you don't SPEED! :wink: I should really follow your example. :D

I typically drive 10-15 mph over the posted speed limit, and at times, as high as 25 mph over the speed limit, depending on the road, traffic, conditions (day/night/weather) and my mood, etc...

Just because I complain that I have to drive well into 3 digit numbers in order to not be left behind on 'fun runs' is by no means an indication that I do not speed.
Carey934

Next

Return to Miscellaneous