officer and k9 shot. car wash in the west valley to help out

Dedicated to unrelated topics...

officer and k9 shot. car wash in the west valley to help out

Postby jax archillies » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:13 am

lets bring our minis and get them washed to help out this guy and his family.

On Monday, February 18, a Goodyear Police Department Canine Officer was a victim of a shooting. The Officer's name is Ricky Melrose, he has been a police officer with the City of Goodyear for twelve years. Ricky was tracking a robbery suspect with his canine (Zip) when both were shot by the suspect.

As you might not know, Officer Melrose and Zip has assisted both CI and HP on several occasions. Officer Melrose and Zip assisted GIITEM during several search warrants and gang details. He has assisted HP in the west valley during drug sniffs and tracks.

Due to the gun shot to his hip area, Officer Melrose will be out of action for 6 to 8 months. He will be incapacitated and unable to walk for about 3 months. As we know in law enforcement, sometimes we rely on overtime and off-duty work to sometimes just make ends meet. Ricky will not be able to do this.

I am asking for your assistance as we will be holding a car wash on Saturday, February 23, 2008. The car wash will take place at Yates Pontiac located at Test Drive and Litchfield Road in Goodyear from 1000 to 1400 hours. It is just south of I-10 on Litchfield Road.

If you are able to donate your time with helping wash a few vehicles or just come by and get you car washed, it would be greatly appreciated. There will be a free lunch for all who help wash cars. Or, you can contact Officer Jeff Rogers by e-mail at jrogers@goodyearaz.gov for any other help you would be willing to provide. Also, there is a fund set up at Bank of America. You can stop by any Bank of America and make a donation to the Officer Ricky Melrose assistance fund. Again, THANK YOU and if you have any questions please feel free to give me a call.

All you West-siders go get your car washed and help out a brother in blue!

In case you didn't know, Ricky was also shot in the chest, and was saved by his Kevlar vest. His K9 was also shot and expected to be fine.

Any help is appreciated!
jax archillies

Postby danjmcs » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks for posting this Jax!

Ricky is a great guy, I've ridden with him many times in my Sportbike Club and gone out to watch he and Zip in their K9 Trials events. What they and other officers do definitely deserves our support, especially in this type of time.

FYI, Zip was shot in the ear and received 4 stitches, he's fine. Ricky had a second surgery on Tuesday night to clean-up a few things missed in the initial xrays and surgery and is doing fine also. If things go as planned, he'll be out of the hospital by the end of the weekend. Knowing Ricky, it wont be long til he's anxious to start his rehab road to recovery.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we'll be back from the parade in time tomorrow, but if so, you can bet we'll be there.

Anyone not going to the Parade, I sure would love to see a good group of Minis make it that way!

Ricky & Zip at The 5th Annual Desert Dog Police K-9 Trials last March.

Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby R50 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:39 pm

Thank God for modern vests. Been saving lots of lives.
Duff is the stuff!

Dan
R50
DMC Founding Member
DMC Founding Member

Postby YELLOWMINIAZ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:33 pm

I know the recovery will be long and hard but I am so glad he is alive!!!

My prayers go out to him and Zip! Thanks for all he does to protect us
YELLOWMINIAZ

Postby danjmcs » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Zip - Goodyear K-9 Recovering well...

In the midst of a gun battle between Goodyear police officers and a robbery suspect, a Belgian Malinois named Zip stayed calm and protected his handler.

Bleeding from his own gunshot wound, the police dog laid on top of officer Ricky Melrose, who had been shot twice, until other units arrived.

Another handler, wearing a bite sleeve, had to forcefully pull the dog off so paramedics could attend to Melrose.

http://www.westvalleyview.com/main.asp? ... leID=30154
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Return to Miscellaneous