AAA Battery Service

Discuss anything MiNi related!

AAA Battery Service

Postby JPMINITUCSON » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 am

When Patty got out of work last night, the '09 Cooper would not start. Just a click of the relays, dashlights went dark. On removing the key(fob), dashlights starting flashing for about a minute than the Airbag Deployed symbol and Cruise control warnings popped up. First reaction was probably a bad battery. Tried to jump it, but just got more warning lights.

So, we called AAA, and asked for their jump start/ battery service. Waited an hour and a friendly fellow in a AAA van appeared. Yes, he had a new battery for the Cooper, but first he had to test the old battery. I told him how critical the voltage and cranking amps were in starting MINIs. No problem he would test the battery. Well, after more than an hour, he decided the battery was OK, and I probably needed to have the computer reflashed. He called a tow truck. 2 hours later the MINI was home.

Today, during my lunch hour, I picked up a battery at Autozone. It started right up. So much for AAA's battery experts. Should have gone with my gut and just picked up a battery and saved 3 1/2 hours and not have missed a Halloween Party.
Oh, and AAA's Battery Service is contracted out, just like their tow service. Wouldn't know it by looking at the pretty little van.
Jon
'81 Aussie Moke Californian
'61 Morris Mini-Minor
'71 Cooper 'S' MKIII
'76 Mini 1000
'13 MINI Cooper
JPMINITUCSON
DMC Member
DMC Member

Re: AAA Battery Service

Postby EuroTechs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:24 am

They are the worse when it comes to that. I recall testing a battery with a $1200 battery tester and it failed after a 2 hour testing/charge cycle. It had a AAA battery so customer called them and they came out , hooked up a $100 tester and 2 minutes later said it passed. Car was back the next day with a dead battery again.
EuroTechs

Re: AAA Battery Service

Postby danjmcs » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:04 am

Similar results when the battery in our 2009 MCS died... did the AutoZone and all good... thankfully this time it died in the driveway.

The 2005 MCS died at 10PM in the parking lot after eating dinner at one of our fave mom/pop Mexican food places. 24 Hour Autozone saved the day in that instance as well, and thankfully the owner let me drive his truck down to get the battery to swap in.

Both cases neither MCS/battery would allow a jump to get them going.
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Return to General Board