Mini Class Action

Discuss anything MiNi related!

Mini Class Action

Postby Chili Mini » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 am

Just received mail notice of a Mini Windshield Class Action suit. Looks like it could involve everyone who has or had an '02 to '08 Mini and replaced a cracked windshield. Don't think we'll realize any benefit as insurance covered 100% of replacement.
Chili Mini
DMC Member
DMC Member

Re: Mini Class Action

Postby danjmcs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:47 am

Yeah, I received that notice of a class action as well. I think I was one of the few that never had to replace a windshield in our 2005 MCS. It was badly pitted by 100k miles, but never had any real cracks or breaks.

This is the website for the ln re Mini Windshield Actions proposed class action settlement.

The lawsuit consists of two separate lawsuits that the United States District Court, for the Central District of California, recently consolidated. Both lawsuits (together the “Litigation”) allege that the OEM windshields on certain MINI Cooper hardtop and convertible vehicles are defective because they may sustain stress cracks during normal driving conditions.

Under the terms of a proposed class action settlement, you may be entitled to receive benefits if:

(1) you currently own or lease, or previously owned or leased, one of the following “Class Vehicles”:
a. MINI Hardtop (R50) (June 11, 2001—Nov. 28, 2006 production period);
b. MINI Convertible (R52) (March 6, 2004—July 31, 2008 production period); and
c. MINI Hardtop (R53) (July 18, 2001—Nov. 28, 2006 production period).

(2) a stress crack occurs/occurred either during the first 5 years/55,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date the vehicle was first sold or leased as new vehicle; and

(3) due to a stress crack, you paid to replace either (1) the Class Vehicle’s original (factory installed) windshield, or (2) a replacement original equipment manufacturer (“OEM”) windshield installed on a Class Vehicle by an authorized MINI dealer.

You can read about the class action here and see all the documents:
http://classaction.kccllc.net/CaseInfo. ... eldActions
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby 66Cooper » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:38 pm

I never had a stress crack, mine were straight up rocks hitting the windscreen. Can I sue because my MINI is a rock magnet?
Barney
Associate Broker Lauer Realty Tucson AZ
Buying or Selling Real Estate in Southern Arizona? Contact me.
BRG/W Classic Mini, 1275, 12" SAXONs
'04 EB S, B&B exh., 15% pulley, K&N Typhoon, M7 STB
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Postby danjmcs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:43 pm

66Cooper wrote:I never had a stress crack, mine were straight up rocks hitting the windscreen. Can I sue because my MINI is a rock magnet?

Hehe, i think thats what most were hoping for...
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Postby halos2002 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:01 pm

My windshield replacements are always from a rock hitting the windshield. Its happened often enough the insurance now requires an inspection prior to authorizing a new windshield!
Is this simply for a windshield cracking with no initial chip or ding???
halos2002

Postby danjmcs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:13 pm

halos2002 wrote:My windshield replacements are always from a rock hitting the windshield. Its happened often enough the insurance now requires an inspection prior to authorizing a new windshield!
Is this simply for a windshield cracking with no initial chip or ding???

Yes, the way this looks to be worded it has to be for a "stress" crack, as they are alleging the windshields were installed incorrectly at the factory. Can't be caused by something external or flying up off the road.
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Return to General Board