Convertible rear windows failure again

Discuss anything MiNi related!

Convertible rear windows failure again

Postby Gigi » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:09 am

Well I got the right rear window on my convertible fixed in early August. I guess the whole window mechanism came apart.

Now today, the left rear window failed....making all kinds of grinding noise.

I'm sure it failed in the same manner as the other one. But considering I haven't used the window at all since I tested the previous repairs in August, I'm a bit disgusted that it falls apart so easily after only 3 years and extremely sparse use and considering that its not in a door taking an impact beating.

I sure hope this won't be a trend for future years as I'm out of warranty in another 5000 miles.

Any other convertible owners suffer the same problems?

Off to MT tomorrow to say hi to Doug again.
Malina
Apache Junction
2008 Sparkling Silver "S" Convertible
Gigi

Postby azdavis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Actually, posted some info on that from your last Tech Post :)

This is on Lucky (The 2005) so I don't feel too bad about the age/fixing of the issue, but still think there is a weak point in the design with the plastic to metal housing they use and plastic wheel. (wish the plastic was metal)

After replacing one side not long after your original post, the other window has since had the same issue happen and I will need to be doing the same fix yet myself. I don't have a warranty, and it is a pain to get the whole window assembly out and a new one back in.. :( not to mention the $250ish hit

As for a trend... After 4 Mini's I have only had a water pump on an 09 and the 2 window assemblies on the 05 to fix so far. :) (besides regular maintenance)

Good luck! (Get it into for that warranty!)

-- Here is what I originally wrote
After just replacing the Quarter Window assembly on one a couple weeks ago, I would indeed say there is a weak point in the cabling wrapping around the plastic wind gear/wheel...

My issue was the plastic that holds the cable actually broke (plastic snapped in two) which prevented the entire window from moving, but in your case it sounds like with some movement it may be an issue with the cabling kinking or getting out of alignment.

Glad it is under warranty as you can't buy individual pieces, if something breaks with the guide or cabling it is about $270 to buy the entire assembly and metal frame. (plus labor if the dealer does the work)

Good luck on the fix... I'm sure Tempe will get it fixed up (I think they quote 3hrs labor on this after talking to the parts guys)
azdavis

Postby Gigi » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Just something we'll have to put up with I suppose, not much of a choice. Its just irritating how a window that isn't even being used can break.

I dropped it off this morning and Doug was really nice. He got me into a loaner Mini and I might have the car back this afternoon.
Malina
Apache Junction
Gigi

Postby azdavis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:23 pm

I think it is only a three hour job as they quote it... I think it took me that long with all the swearing and trial and error getting the window framing out and back in. :)

Lucky now had a new problem, I guess Regina was closing the top yesterday and there seems to be a plastic piece in the front next to the latch that ended up breaking, have to wait till this weekend to take a closer look and see what it will take to replace the broken piece. :( Again, not complaining too much as the car is 7 years old, just wish some "plastic" was actually metal as to not break over time. :)
azdavis

Postby Gigi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:24 pm

I wonder if there are any aftermarket quarter window mechanisms that are more robust? I've seen them for sale from the usual sources, but they are quoted as OEM which makes me think they have the same plastic part design. Like I said before, I suppose I'll just have to live with the reoccuring quarter window and motor mount problems until I trade this one in on one of those new 2-seat coupes.
Malina
Apache Junction
Gigi

Postby 66Cooper » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Just saw a 1st Gen. COOPER Cabrio here in Tucson at Little Germany a couple of days ago having the same work done (left rear window issues).
Barney
Associate Broker Lauer Realty Tucson AZ
Buying or Selling Real Estate in Southern Arizona? Contact me.
BRG/W Classic Mini, 1275, 12" SAXONs
'04 EB S, B&B exh., 15% pulley, K&N Typhoon, M7 STB
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Return to General Board