[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Dynamic MiNi Collective • View topic - Run-Flat Tires

Run-Flat Tires

Discuss anything MiNi related!

Run-Flat Tires

Postby geebob43 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey, I'm new here and new to Mini's. I just got a '07 MCS 'bout a month ago. What's the consensus here on Run-flats? Do most of you switch to regular tires when they wear out or not?

bob
geebob43
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby Louie B. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Welcome Bob!

While they have come a long way in recent years, most run-flats still tend to give a very rough ride and don't offer the best grip that most 'spirited' MINI drivers desire. I ditched my runflats almost imediately. most will wait for them to wear out then go with something else.

As for the lack of a spare in the S models, 3 options:
1. keep a spare in the back seat (Chevy cobalt spares work on our MINIs)
2. carry a can of fix-a-flat
3. get AAA or another roadside assistance company and let them come fix it if something happens.

I personally do none of the above and just figure if I'm out of town, I'm usually with other MINIs, some of which have spares and would probably be nice enough to let me borrow. :wink:
"I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work"
Louie B.
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby AKA IAN » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:47 am

Bob, welcome to the MINI family.
I got a lot of miles on my first set of run flats, replaced with another set of run flats and then went with regular tires because of cost. There's a can of fix-it in my car and a box of air and I have a cell phone to call my husband or AAA.
AKA IAN
DMC Co-Chair
DMC Co-Chair

New too

Postby Shaky5678 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Shaky5678

Postby geebob43 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:07 pm

geebob43
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby MINImama » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:56 pm

I second everything that everyone else said above... and throw in my two-cents worth...

Keep in mind that run flats are much heavier than a standard tire. This translates at the gas pump. And if you're pumping premium, as you should be, then you're probably looking for the best fuel economy possible to keep more than two-cents in your pocket. Losing the run flats helps. I saw a significant jump in my fuel economy when I ditched the run flats.

mg
MINImama
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby minidad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:21 pm

minidad
DMC Member
DMC Member

Return to General Board