Storm damage

Discuss anything MiNi related!

Storm damage

Postby el dutchee » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 am

Yep, it happened, extrememly bummed! :( Got caught out in the hail storm yesterday and now have little dimples on my Mini. Mostly on the roof but smaller ones around. Any ideas for getting rid of them??
el dutchee

Postby Louie B. » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:22 am

You're the 3rd MINI I've heard about that got caught in the worst of it :( I was just visiting another who's MINI no longer has a single straight panel left on the whole car. :shock: :(

I'd probably start by having a talk with a Paintless Dent Repair company (Hopefully someone chimes in w/ sugestions of good ones) to get an idea of which ones they can handle and for how much.

Then the desision will need to be made as to wether it's worth getting insurance involved.
"I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work"
Louie B.
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby deemotored » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:08 pm

My friend was referred to a body shop where she was told she has $5K in damage. :(
deemotored
DMC Founding Member
DMC Founding Member

Postby el dutchee » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:29 am

Thanks for the feedback. If anyone has any experience or friends in the business please post. Thanks for the help.
el dutchee

Postby Chili Mini » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:35 am

Fortunately, Chili Mini was out but not caught in the hail storm. Daughter's leased BMW got it $1300 worth according to USAA adjuster. BMW wants more to fix. BMW and USAA now fighting it out - nothing will happen until resolved. Saw her car - amazed how both sides have hail damage in addition to horizontal surfaces. She was on the 101 at 67th Ave.

If anyone has actual repairs done please post here where and your level of satisfaction.
Chili Mini
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby MINImama » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Yep, I got caught out in the storm, too... wow, it was so loud and scary. I was able to get a small bit of shelter, but Pepper still took quite a pelting. Amazingly, I cannot see any damage to the roof, which is surprising because of the sunroof. I'm guessing the vinyl roof graphic may have provided an extra layer of protection. My main concern at this point is the bonnet. Unfortunately, my week has been so hectic I have not had time to clean off the mud and debris that caked on the car from my 2 hour commute that day. Once I get it cleaned off tonight, I'm going to take a flashlight to the paint to see if there is any hail damage. Keeping my fingers crossed for no dimples.

I'm so sorry to hear that about the damage. I hope your MINI is repaired and back on the road in no time. :( :(
On a positive note, I am relieved that our club members weathered the storm safely.
Last edited by MINImama on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MINImama
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby sugar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Yea, I was lucky with Mikino. I drove through it and got hit, but nothing happened to her - and the 3 hours it took to get home really sucked too.

The house... that's a different story.
sugar

Postby MINImama » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:37 pm

UPDATE: Yep, Pepper has hail damage. 2 on the roof, and maybe 10 spots on the bonnet. They are hard to see, but they are there. Oh well... nothing more I could have done to protect her. It is what it is...
:( :( :( :(
MINImama
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby Louie B. » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:10 am

MINImama wrote:UPDATE: Yep, Pepper has hail damage. 2 on the roof, and maybe 10 spots on the bonnet. They are hard to see, but they are there. Oh well... nothing more I could have done to protect her. It is what it is...
:( :( :( :(

So, what you're sayin' is Pepper got "peppered" with hail damage? :shock:

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
"I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work"
Louie B.
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby wearlaz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Channel 3 had a feature on Paintless Dent Repair at Danny's Family Car wash - had a car with many hail dents. Appeared to have worked...

http://dannysfamily.com/new/services/pdr/
wearlaz

Postby AZMINIS » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:54 pm

All the cars outside at MINI North Scottsdale got damaged, All the dealerships there, Could not get all the cars under cover. Porsche, Audi. VW, Acura, etc.......

Jeff
" I know officer, License and Registration "

AZMINIS

Postby minidad » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Many ways to deal with the hail damage..
but smaller dimples can be "shrunk" out by a method of using dry ice to freeze and shrink the metal to basically contract the metal/dent...
If it was me and was planning to keep car...I'd pocket the Insurance
money and buy mods...and a graphic to cover the dimples :P :wink:
minidad
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby deemotored » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:06 am

Someone told me that in the heat of the summer some may pop up on their own. ;)
deemotored
DMC Founding Member
DMC Founding Member

Postby el dutchee » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Hmmmm, may have to wait a bit to see, but it's got potential!!
el dutchee

Storm Damage

Postby vanessa13 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

hey, my dad owns a body shop in Tempe... its on Kyrene rd. North of Guadalupe road, not far from MINI Tempe. Its called Tracy's Auto Body- which also houses Babbitt Motor Works, a certified MINI/BMW mechanic. After the hail storm, we hired a company from Texas that specializes in PDR. Even though my mini didnt get any hail damage.. they fixed a few door dings for me and you couldnt even tell they were there. Here's the website address & phone number if you're interested.

480-897-6956
tracysautobody.com

There is also Reviews and Before and After pictures of some collision work.
vanessa13

Return to General Board