Convertible Owners - Weather Strip Inquiry

Discuss anything MiNi related!

Convertible Owners - Weather Strip Inquiry

Postby Gigi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 am

This is for the convertible owners. Are any of you experiencing the same problems we are?

2008 model purchased new in July 2008 and has 19,000 miles on it. The car is garaged at home.

Between the top fabric and the body is a chrome molding/trim. On top of the chrome molding is a rubber strip.

Here are the three problems/defects we've noticed:

1. On the sides of the vehicle there is a gap in the moulding. Which appears normal, but the rubber strip is starting to peel to the rear of the car and break off. So far, about 1/2 inch has broken away on both sides and continues its rearward tear.

2. Along of the back of the car (between the tail lamps and the third brake light) there are two problems:

2a. We have a three inch horizontal tear in the rubber where it meets the chrome trim. The top of the rubber is ok, just a definte horizontal tear at the trim connecting point.

2b. At several spots there are perfectly verticle tears the full verticle height of the rubber strip.

I don't notice them in low light conditions, but once out in direct sunlight, the damage is very apparant. We only use the convertible top vary sparingly. Basically, only 1% of all driving is with the top down or moonroof open.

I only handwash my vehicles, so its not taking a beating from mechanical car washes.

Has anyone experienced this?

Would you consider it a warranty item or normal wear and tear for these cars??? Do you think MNS would replace it without a lot of hassle under warranty?
Malina
Apache Junction
2008 Sparkling Silver "S" Convertible
Gigi

Re: Convertible Owners - Weather Strip Inquiry

Postby Louie B. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:55 am

Gigi wrote:....We only use the convertible top vary sparingly. Basically, only 1% of all driving is with the top down or moonroof open.

Well there's your problem! MINI recomends a mininum of 92% Top down motoring in convertable models!

(sorry, I don't actually have anything valuable to add to this thread.... But I just couldn't help myself :tease )
"I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work"
Louie B.
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby MINImama » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:57 pm

I was thinking the same thing.... don't let Scott see this! tsk tsk!

It should be a warranty item. Outside of that, I think anytime you have a problem with your car, you should make sure the dealership knows about it - that way, if you turns out to be an ongoing problem, there is a record for future reference. Talk to Justin at MNS. He should be able to take care of you.
MINImama
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby BellaMaria » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Just take it in! They replace that stuff really easily and happily. There is no fighting. I have a convert. ------ YOU NEED TO HAVE IT DOWN MORE! SHAME ON YOU lol....

I got a new roof under 20K and my molding was coming off as well at the top right side of the windshield. Sorry, I don't know tech terms! lol
BellaMaria

Return to General Board