Dealership recommendations?

Discuss anything MiNi related!

Dealership recommendations?

Postby Eunos » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi guys, some of you may know me from autocross, but I'm here for help from the local Mini professionals. Some family members have contacted me regarding a Cooper purchase for their 18yo son. They didn't have any preferences aside from color (no red or black) and a price cap of ~$25k otd.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but IMO, a stripped S would offer more "car" than an optioned-out base, given the price range. I've called some of the nearby dealerships and as to be expected it's slim pickings. I've found 2 cars that might work, however they're of course the wrong color.

Do you guys have any recommendations for dealers that might have a larger allotment or maybe some that might be more willing to negotiate on price? I had at least one dealer tell me straight up that all cars are MSRP + tint + protection + mats + lojack + 10%adj! I understand that you can't expect invoice when it comes to MINIs, but the automotive market in general isn't doing too well right now.

Also, am I nuts to recommend an S for a young male? He isn't into cars and is coming from an old hand-me-down-pickup, though I honestly don't know anything about his driving behavior. It doesn't seem like too much car to me but I suppose I'd feel better if DSC was standard. It just seems that if you can afford to get into an S, it's the better long term option.

Thanks for any help,

Brian Peters
Eunos

Postby minisaz » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Are you looking for an Older molder (R53 etc.) or a new (R56)?

If you are looking for older, you should be able to find some good priced ones privately. I cant say to much about the R56ers being there is only one dealer in the state so they pretty much have a stranglehold on the price and availablity.

"MSRP + tint + protection + mats + lojack + 10%adj" is used car dealer talking. Though with prices of gas i am not suprised they arent negotiating on smaller cars with high MPG.

Mini vs S. There are plenty of ppl who are happy with JustACooper (dee, carey,, Karen). Personally i dont care for the DSC. I dont think that is a huge advantage between a S or Non S. But i thought the Cooper had DSC, but i could be wrong.

Whats wrong with a Black mini. thats what i got!! :lol:
Tim
Cars built for small spaces...Go more places.
minisaz

Postby Istara » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Does it need to be new? There are a lot of good options in used minis that would easily fit in to that price range, many of which would still have plenty of warranty left too, if that's the issue.
Istara

Postby Eunos » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Sorry, should have clarified, but yeah, they were wanting new. If not, it would have to be *very* low mileage.

New is the rub. Limited availability (most are orders) and dealers that are used to being the ones with all the power. At this point the search radius includes Socal and Vegas, but if there's a particularly good dealer or "the perfect car" elsewhere, it'd certainly be considered.
Eunos

Postby 66Cooper » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Jim Click used cars on 22nd and Alvernon has an 03 Cooper S, Electric Blue/White roof, don't know anything else about it just driving past a couple of days ago. Price on windscreen was$19900 I think.....something in my head said 20K. That being said about a used car. Tanque Verde Motors in Tucson sells "NEW" used MINIs, but you know they have some mark up over dealer I don't know what they have in or what they are priced at, but they always have NEW MINIs in stock.

Dealer wise, I probably would go back to Jackie Cooper in Oklahoma when I ever buy another MINI. They treated me great, had good inventory at the time, but I had to special order what I wanted. They were quick on the order time and delivery was only about 9 weeks from order.

I would check insurance rates to help determine if the S is too much car or not. Long term recurring expense could help decide which way to go also.

The cooper is a very spirited car and I would never short change one in general performance issues. They are not an S, but they are no slug either. For a less experienced driver the non S may help keep the insurance rates lower and in the long run stay lower with fewer tickets.
:shock: Much like I am glad my wife opted for the 6 cyl Mustang over a GT or Cobra. The cost to acquire the car wasn't the issue, my wife has lead foot and I think the extra ponies would have cost us more in the long run.
Barney
Associate Broker Lauer Realty Tucson AZ
Buying or Selling Real Estate in Southern Arizona? Contact me.
BRG/W Classic Mini, 1275, 12" SAXONs
'04 EB S, B&B exh., 15% pulley, K&N Typhoon, M7 STB
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Postby duality » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:55 am

call grady at Chapman BMW on Camelback used cars. When I was shopping for cars, he found a bunch for me to look at that I didn't see otherwise.
duality

Postby th3118 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:49 am

Found a few 07's on Autotrader. Some really low miles.
http://www.autotrader.com/
Todd

th3118

Postby Louie B. » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:16 am

Another consideration for the S vs non-S debate, If the son eventually wants to get into auto-x, the non-S is still "the" car to have in H-stock. :wink:
"I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work"
Louie B.
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby harpo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:24 am

Really great folks at the dealership in Denver... Ralph Schomp MINI
Suzanne
"I've got designs on a moving violation.".( Tom Waits)
harpo

Postby azminiman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:56 am

I know someone selling a 06 MCS british green/ british green.. 21k miles asking around 22k. if interesed contact me here or pm

Last edited by azminiman on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Former DMC founding member, 1st new MINI owner in AZ, 10 time AMVIV, 3 time MITM, 3 time MTTS, 2 time MINI United England-France. Visitor to 80 MINI dealers in US, 10 Canadian, and 6 European countries.[/b]
azminiman
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby BellaMaria » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:21 am

call Scott - he got me my MINI WAY under cost. and the BEST customer service I have EVER had! Scot - 602-705-7537 You won't be sorry! Please tell him Danielle sent you!
BellaMaria

Postby Skinnyjt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:32 pm

Shelly bought her car from the mini dealership in Vegas. They had a lot of mini's on the lot. No waiting to order one too.
John Holbrook

2006 JCW, H-Sport SwayBars, M7 Splitter,Catch Can, APD, Strut Brace, coilovers Schroth Belts, etc......
Skinnyjt

Return to General Board