VIN Etching this weekend

Discuss anything MiNi related!

VIN Etching this weekend

Postby scuzzlepook » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:49 pm

Get free etching to help fight car theft
by Lily Leung - Jun. 5, 2008 06:47 AM
The Arizona Republic

The Surprise Police Department on Saturday (6/7/2008) will promote automobile-theft prevention through an event at a home-improvement store.

From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., police will be at Home Depot Store, 13828 W. Waddell Road, to provide residents with free vehicle identification number, or VIN, etchings and enrollment in the state's Watch Your Car program.

VIN etching, used to prevent motor-vehicle theft, involves stenciling a vehicle's identification number onto its windshield and windows.
Watch Your Car is a free, voluntary program that registers vehicles in the Motor Vehicle Department database. Those registered receive decals for their car windows that convey to police that their vehicles are usually not operated between 1 and 5 a.m., when most car thefts occur. If police see vehicles with the decals operating at those times, they are allowed to stop the drivers to verify ownership.

The first 75 vehicles will receive free steering-wheel locks.

Details: www.stopautotheft.org.
Jet Black 2009 BMW 135i
first love: IB/W 2004 MCS; Second love AB/AB 2007 JCW MCS
Image Image
scuzzlepook
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby notmini » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:12 am

Just be aware the "Watch your car" program is a way for law enforcment to get you to sign away your rights for a reasonable search and seisure. You are saying to any law enforcment if Iam out at night pull me over and even though I only had one beer how about a sobriety test. Without the program they have to have a reason to pull you over. I may sound parinoid to some but look before you leap.
I drive a Mini but I am not mini

Your never too old to have a second childhood

If your goin through HELL keep going
notmini

Postby scuzzlepook » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:13 pm

notmini wrote:Just be aware the "Watch your car" program is a way for law enforcment to get you to sign away your rights for a reasonable search and seisure. You are saying to any law enforcment if Iam out at night pull me over and even though I only had one beer how about a sobriety test. Without the program they have to have a reason to pull you over. I may sound parinoid to some but look before you leap.

:-k Def good stuff to think about before doing this type o'thing!
Thanks for posting that info...
Jet Black 2009 BMW 135i
first love: IB/W 2004 MCS; Second love AB/AB 2007 JCW MCS
Image Image
scuzzlepook
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby It Works » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:20 am

The Watch Your Car program is a voluntary program that registers vehicles in the MVD database. If you decide to participate, you receive a window decal that tells the police that your car is not generally on the streets between 1am-5am. That's when you may be pulled over to verify that you are the owner.

You can get the etching and not participate in the program.

www.stopautotheft.org
'06 MCS JCW, Aero, Bilstein PSS9's SB/S
'06 MCS JCW GP
It Works

Postby YELLOWMINIAZ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:48 am

Whats wrong with you all.. We never party and stay out past 1am so whats the problem!!! :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
YELLOWMINIAZ

Return to General Board