Kidlets and MINI Convertible?

Discuss anything MiNi related!

Kidlets and MINI Convertible?

Postby timcolson » Tue May 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Howdy folks -- newb here, no MINI yet. Still deciding.

I had a '99 Atlanta Blue Z3. Loved it. Really. Fun car. But I sold it last summer because it just didn't seem like the right car after our daughter was born. Lucky timing, a relative was selling a 3-series convertible that was well cared for, so I bought that and thought all would be great. :-)

A year has passed and the 2001 3-series has been a nice upgrade in some ways, but also has had some maintenance needed. Nothing outrageous for the age and mileage...but frankly, I'm not happy with the extra hassle and the high cost of BMW repairs. I work from home and only put 3-4K miles on "my car" yearly, so throwing money in a car that I only rarely use seems silly.

I've been thinking of picking up a Miata convertible (reliability and resale value are hard to beat)... but just last night, I moved the carseat from the Volvo to the ragtop and we went out for ice cream.

The little girl loved the top-down ride. Really loved it. She didn't want to get out of the car and smiled all the way with the wind in her hair. (I love her soooo much!)

So... I'm thinking maybe a MINI convertible. Base model with A/C and floormats... No S. No DSC. Nothing fancy. Cost reasonable. Hassle low.

Questions...

1) Will the MINI dealer up in Scottsdale sell such a beast or will I need to go elsewhere?

2) Will a carseat fit in the Mini convertible and can somebody still fit in the front seat? Can you get a kid in and out if the top is up? (Rare, but valid situation.)
It's not easy to even find an '08 down here to try it out empirically... if anybody on this board is willing to meet up for me to do a dry-run, I'd happily buy lunch or coffee/beer.

3) Will I really really really regret not adding feature X? Especially the "S"?

I know, I know "it's a personal decision"...but can't hurt to get other opinions form folks who have perhaps spent time in both. For comparison -- I found the 4-cyl Z3 to be woefully underpowered and didn't buy until the 6-cyl was standard... I always envied the larger engine M versions, but honestly I was happy with the response of the basic 6-cyl and saving $10-$15K over the M. <grin>

4) Maintenance -- will I have to drive this thing up to PHX a lot?
That would really really really suck. It would put a big negative in the "no hassle" proposition. I assume the MINI is similar to the BMW service...meaning the first oil change might not be until a zillion miles have passed, but can I get that service at BMW or an "authorized" service center like Independent BMW down here in Tucson?

5) Reliability?
Consumerguide shows cost of various typical long term repairs (ex. CV replacement, brakes) and the estimates are about half of the 3-series (good) but still 15-20% more than a Miata (bad). Furthermore...they estimate using $50/hr labour...which isn't going to be anywhere near close for the BMW, nor, I suspect the MINI. Mazda mechanics...still likely more than $50, but not as much as the BMW/MINI mechanics. At any rate... how is ownership and "annoyance" level been for folks?

Thanks for any info folks!
Timo
timcolson

Postby azminiman » Wed May 14, 2008 3:00 am

First, I have met very few unhappy MINI owners.. I am on my 4th, and we have 3 in the household. I previously owned Lexus, Acura, Honda, and Toyota. Although, I have had a few more issues then the other brands, all issues had been fixed under warr. None of the cars have ever left me stranded, needing hauling back to dealer.

1. Mini N. Scottsdale does have a good selection of cars.. Not a lot if looking for used. ( only dealer in state. Have been hearing of one possible in chandler or Tucson )

2. Not sure on that one,, but just bring to the dealership. Dont think it would be a issue, they do have the carseat strap hook to secure.

3. Heated seat a must. "S" most wouldnt live with out. depends mostly on if you realllllly want the extra MPG. I say go S. Upgrade the radio too. with the comfort pkg with controls on steering wheel.

4. WIll have to get warr service in PHX. Unless they open one in Tucson. Maintenace is 36/36 which gets you 2 or 3 oil changes. 4yr 50k for everything else.

5. Have known very very few owner with major issues out of warranty. Consumer reports show the 05 and newer with very good history. Like anything mechanical, you cant predict. Ive know pinto owner that had now issues... But overall, majority of MINI owner are very very happy with their cars.
[b]Former DMC founding member, 1st new MINI owner in AZ, 10 time AMVIV, 3 time MITM, 3 time MTTS, 2 time MINI United England-France. Visitor to 80 MINI dealers in US, 10 Canadian, and 6 European countries.[/b]
azminiman
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby MNIBMR » Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 am

Your post made me smile when I read about your daughter loving to ride with the wind blowing her hair! She must have a MINI! I don't have an S but I have an '05 automatic that you can put in "S" mode and it gives it that extra boost to get on the freeway or when you need a little extra power. I talked to a woman at Starbucks who used to have a Mazda Miata prior to getting her MINI and she said she is so glad she got the MINI - she said there was no comparison. She had a huge Doberman in the MINI and he fit just fine, I'm sure your car seat will fit!!
Best wishes.
Janice
MNIBMR
DMC Member
DMC Member

Re: Kidlets and MINI Convertible?

Postby scuzzlepook » Wed May 14, 2008 1:06 pm

timcolson wrote:2)It's not easy to even find an '08 down here to try it out empirically... if anybody on this board is willing to meet up for me to do a dry-run, I'd happily buy lunch or coffee/beer.

MINI owners are ALWAYS proud and willing to show off their car! Maybe if you list where "down here" is, you may get someone who can meet you in their convertible. :D
Jet Black 2009 BMW 135i
first love: IB/W 2004 MCS; Second love AB/AB 2007 JCW MCS
Image Image
scuzzlepook
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby Istara » Wed May 14, 2008 2:34 pm

azminiman wrote:3. Heated seat a must.

In phoenix? O.o You must be cold-blooded...
Istara

Postby danjmcs » Wed May 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Istara wrote:

83k miles, a lot NOT in Arizona... hehe... nice to have up in Colorado or even cold nights in Flag :) And in a convertible, its all about having the top down, regardless of conditions. Was pretty cool to see those with convertibles going through Telluride, top down, snow along the side of the road, enjoying the open air :) Turn on the heat, bundle up and your good to go!
Last edited by danjmcs on Wed May 14, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
danjmcs
Advisory Board Member
Advisory Board Member

Heated Seats ...

Postby MNIBMR » Wed May 14, 2008 3:15 pm

I don't have a convertible and still have heated seats - they sure came in handy on the run up to Jerome last year :lol: [/quote]
MNIBMR
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby 66Cooper » Wed May 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Tim,
Where are you located? We have cabrios in the club plus there are various places that you could test one out.
Barney
Associate Broker Lauer Realty Tucson AZ
Buying or Selling Real Estate in Southern Arizona? Contact me.
BRG/W Classic Mini, 1275, 12" SAXONs
'04 EB S, B&B exh., 15% pulley, K&N Typhoon, M7 STB
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Postby azminiman » Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 am

Istara wrote:

Heated seat are awsome. Even if its not cold, the heat feels good on OLD backs :D
[b]Former DMC founding member, 1st new MINI owner in AZ, 10 time AMVIV, 3 time MITM, 3 time MTTS, 2 time MINI United England-France. Visitor to 80 MINI dealers in US, 10 Canadian, and 6 European countries.[/b]
azminiman
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby AZblackOUT » Thu May 15, 2008 2:49 am

I traded in a 93' Miata when I got the MINI, yeah good decision. Yeah the Miata has a good resale value, but so does the MINI :)
I have a hardtop and can get to a car seat in the front or back. the back seat actually has hooks that you can use (although its tricky to figure out and get good hooks that go in there) Im not sure of the different clearance of the hardtop vs. convertable with the top up...but i dont think its that much of a difference if any at all... :roll: (wish I knew for sure)
You can also lower the seats up and down, and it makes a huge difference in the placement of the carseat relative to the airbag and top of the car...play with that feature also.

Anyways, hope some of this helps you to get a MINI, and hope to see you driving around :lol:
AZblackOUT

Postby timcolson » Thu May 15, 2008 3:38 am

Thanks for the replies so far folks... some followup...

"Down Here" means The Old Pueblo, Tucson. :-)

RE: Heated seats a must... I toughed it out in NorCal in the Z3 without heated seats for years with just the heater on high. (When I bought it, the wife said, "Heated seats are for wimps, we don't need em'!" Of course, she would ride with gloves on and always managed to have a warm jacket hidden somewhere while I was shivering. <grin>)

Our Volvo has heated seats...and when we picked it up in Sweden, we realized why they came standard! But they only get kicked on a few times a year here in the states, mostly on trips to Flagstaff.

RE: S or not... I suppose I'll have to try and drive both to see for myself... but since I'm in Tucson and don't commute or hit the freeway much, I hope to be able to skip the expense.

The S is a supercharger... so I'd expect that gives you a bit more top-end go go juice, say 35MPH and up... tach after say 4-5K. If that's a correct guess, then since most of my driving will be < 40MPH... I'm betting I won't miss the S.

But I've read that newer superchargers have managed to squeeze in more power lower in the revs.... so my assumption might be total bunk. If you've got an S, can you distinctly notice when it's actually working it's mojo?

I'm going to be out of town for a few days soon...but the offer certainly stands to buy some lunch or drinks if a couple of folks would like to meet up. :-)

Cheers,
Timo
timcolson

Postby Louie B. » Thu May 15, 2008 4:31 am

timcolson wrote:....most of my driving will be < 40MPH...

Are MINIs even capable of going under 40?? :roll: :lol:

timcolson wrote:But I've read that newer superchargers have managed to squeeze in more power lower in the revs.... so my assumption might be total bunk. If you've got an S, can you distinctly notice when it's actually working it's mojo?

If you wait for an '09 it will be Turbo instead of supercharged. The hardtops currently are.

If you do any freeway driving you will definately apreciate the extra oomph of the S to get you up the onramp. Especially in the heavier convertables.

As far as when it kick in, mine seems to be noticable @ about 3000rpm, a performance pulley will allow it to kick in earlier.
"I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work"
Louie B.
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby azminiman » Thu May 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Like Louie said.. The S Minis up to 2006 are supercharged. The 07-08 S minis are now turbo. The S converables are still supercharged, for they have not yet changed to the new R56 platform. That will happen in the 09 builds.
azminiman
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby Istara » Thu May 15, 2008 2:21 pm

timcolson wrote:RE: Heated seats a must... I toughed it out in NorCal in the Z3 without heated seats for years with just the heater on high. (When I bought it, the wife said, "Heated seats are for wimps, we don't need em'!" Of course, she would ride with gloves on and always managed to have a warm jacket hidden somewhere while I was shivering. <grin>)

lol, I like your wife already :thumbs-up:

I'm one of many in tucson.. but I've got a hard-top. Still, if none of the cabrios chime in, I'll offer my car for inspection if you want to check it out or chat a bit sometime :)
Istara

Postby 66Cooper » Thu May 15, 2008 2:29 pm

We have some cabrios in the Tucson Chapter, and Tanque Verde Motors usually has one on the lot for sale. They also keep S and Coopers in stock most of the time.

Tucson folks for the most part don't spend as much time on the message forum, but we can keep you in the loop for our next gatherings after you get back to town. We are taking a drive to Sierra Vista this Saturday.
Barney
Associate Broker Lauer Realty Tucson AZ
Buying or Selling Real Estate in Southern Arizona? Contact me.
BRG/W Classic Mini, 1275, 12" SAXONs
'04 EB S, B&B exh., 15% pulley, K&N Typhoon, M7 STB
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Return to General Board