B & M Shortshifters

Discuss anything MiNi related!

B & M Shortshifters

Postby pepegrande008 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:51 pm

so this company is getting rid of short shifters for really cheap. I ordered one and i dont think any of you can afford to pass this up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-Short-Throw-Shifter-Mini-Cooper-S-02-03-PN-45129_W0QQitemZ120193447270QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33736QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Yeah... I Ate a big red candle
pepegrande008

Postby Louie B. » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:57 am

Hmm, only lists 02-03. do 04 up have different shifters?

As fast as I can shift w/ my stock shifter, I really don't see the need for a short throw, I used to have one in one of my CRXs but ended up taking it back out because I could shift faster and w/ less grinding with the stock one. w:(w
"I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work"
Louie B.
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby UKSUV » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:55 am

Louie B. wrote:Hmm, only lists 02-03. do 04 up have different shifters?

As fast as I can shift w/ my stock shifter, I really don't see the need for a short throw, I used to have one in one of my CRXs but ended up taking it back out because I could shift faster and w/ less grinding with the stock one. w:(w

Thats because you need to learn how to drive.... :wink:
UKSUV

Postby minisaz » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:40 pm

yeah me too...got an "04. Are B&M Shifter good quality? Will it fit my Whalen Shiftknob?
Tim
Cars built for small spaces...Go more places.
minisaz

Postby UKSUV » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:56 pm

minisaz wrote:yeah me too...got an "04. Are B&M Shifter good quality? Will it fit my Whalen Shiftknob?

Yes...B&M are good shifters. Top fuel guys use them... :wink: I'm pretty sure it will fit the Whalen. How does the Whalen secure? Does it snap or use a hex screw? You know you can find them for sale on ebay for cheaper than above...like $25-30.
UKSUV

Postby pepegrande008 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:04 pm

yeah the total was $51 after shipping.
pepegrande008

Postby GreatBug » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:43 am

minisaz wrote:Will it fit my Whalen Shiftknob?

Famous last words. :D
GreatBug

Postby Weedo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:54 am

If I'm not mistaken, these are the "old style" B&M made. The new one is shorter and has a big bend in it. Evidently the older one had bad fitting issues and was a waste of money. I can't say from experience but I read up on it on NAM.

By the way, I have the new style with the big bend in it. :thumbs-up:
2003 MINI Cooper S - Electric Blue
Alta Intake, Sway Bar, Adjustable Control Arms, 17%/2% Pulley, GIAC, Borla Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, Konig Britelite 16" Wheels, Falken 615's
Weedo

Postby UKSUV » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:31 am

The Church of NAM sucks....Im getting real tired of that place... :x
UKSUV

Postby perrin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:47 pm

UKSUV wrote:The Church of NAM sucks....Im getting real tired of that place... :x

I know!! I don't go there anymore!!!
Volvo C30 BB RD Stock so very stock and staying that way!! Wait........

had.....:( '05 MCSa HB/B all 4 packages, anthracite trim, H/K sound, Aero Kit, Pulley and intake.
perrin

Postby Weedo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:54 am

UKSUV wrote:The Church of NAM sucks....Im getting real tired of that place... :x

Saved me $50 at least... :lol: And hopefully you guys too!
Alta Intake, Sway Bar, Adjustable Control Arms, 17%/2% Pulley, GIAC, Borla Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, Konig Britelite 16" Wheels, Falken 615's
Weedo

Postby pepegrande008 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:57 am

well ill have this installed probably by monday and i will tell you if there are issues. Since it is new in the box and if there are clearence issues/problems then i imagine that b&m being a good company would send me the new ones if they scrapped the original design.
pepegrande008

Postby Weedo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:06 am

pepegrande008 wrote:well ill have this installed probably by monday and i will tell you if there are issues. Since it is new in the box and if there are clearence issues/problems then i imagine that b&m being a good company would send me the new ones if they scrapped the original design.

Did you buy that one off Ebay? If so, B&M won't do anything. From what I recall you need to cut some part of the heat shield away and some other goofy things. It's doable, and people have made them to work, but I understand version 2 is completely different. v2 is on my car now. The shaft has a big bend in it and it appears the Ebay version is more of a straight "post".

Probably not a huge deal either way; even if you don't like it you're only out $50 (assuming you install it yourself). I did read that one person liked theres and only had minor "fitting" issues. Others said it didn't change anything from stock other than making it harder to shift.

Good luck either way, and keep us posted!
Weedo

b & M

Postby pepegrande008 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:03 pm

You know i didnt even realize before that our cars look almost exactly the same. crazy. but i just checked it out and there is a big bend in the shaft, assuming that the orig is straight. God i cant wait to install it.
pepegrande008

Re: b & M

Postby Weedo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:29 pm

pepegrande008 wrote:You know i didnt even realize before that our cars look almost exactly the same. crazy. but i just checked it out and there is a big bend in the shaft, assuming that the orig is straight. God i cant wait to install it.

You're right, they sure do! I swapped my white mirror caps for black just to look different than you... :lol:

Yes, the bend should mean it's the "new" style. I love the way mine shifts. It's quite a bit shorter in height and definitely shorter is shift-throw. The notchiness is perfect to; you really know what gear you're going into. It gets rid of the plastic feeling of the stock shifter.

Now get it installed!!
Weedo

Next

Return to General Board