new here

Discuss anything MiNi related!

new here

Postby Joakwin » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:55 am

im in the process of moving to Tucson,
and so i searched for mini's in the area and I found this club/site

I have one of my cars on a boat right now, the vessel that has my car is almost at the panama canal, I will be picking the car up in a few weeks
the mini is a rhd 1984 B reg,
I built this car from a rust bucket to what it is now, I have had a lot of fun building this car and I still have alittle more work left on it but its close to being done

and the bone stock daily car
its bone stock besides the kenwood that's been added to it,
its a lhd german spec 998, it has alittle bit of a wiring issue going on with it right now, but will be worked out very soon
Joakwin

Re: new here

Postby JPMINITUCSON » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:39 am

Joakwin,

A big Southern Arizona welcome to you and to your proper Minis!

There is a thriving Mini community here of both pre-2001 Minis and BMW MINIs. My wife and I have a 1971 Mini Cooper S, a 1961 Morris Mini-Minor, a 2013 MINI Cooper and as of 3 weeks ago a new project: a 1976 Mini 1000. I rebuilt the 1275 motors in the '71 and '61 Minis and am starting to tackle the body work on the '76.

Be sure to touch base with me when you land in Tucson and we will get the classic Minis together for a drive.

Cheers!

Jon
Jon
'81 Aussie Moke Californian
'61 Morris Mini-Minor
'71 Cooper 'S' MKIII
'76 Mini 1000
'13 MINI Cooper
JPMINITUCSON
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby Joakwin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:59 am

sounds like fun
Joakwin

Postby AKA IAN » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 pm

Joakwin

Welcome! Looking forward to meeting you and your Minis at one of our upcoming events. We just did our planning for 2015 and the info will be coming out shortly.

Marsha Carter
MADMEN co-chair
AKA IAN
DMC Co-Chair
DMC Co-Chair

Postby Joakwin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:23 pm

I should have one of my cars out to the area at the end of the month
And the 2nd one sometime is feb

I've been checking out the event list, sounds like our minis have a lot going on in the area
Joakwin

Postby Joakwin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:22 am

Anyone know what needs to be done to get AZ plates put on my UK plated B reg (1984) mini?

The vessel with my car is currently located off the coast deep down in Mexico,
So that's the reason I'm asking about AZ plates
Joakwin

Postby JPMINITUCSON » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:51 pm

I assume you are talking about your "B" reg Mini.

1st: You will need to make copies of all import documents (V5, etc.)

2nd: Cars older than 25 years, registered as a collector car, do not require a SMOG inspection. 1984 Minis were never legally sold in the USA so they do not appear in the AZ ADOT smog database. Insure your vehicle as a collector car, otherwise you will enter the "Devils Triangle of AZ SMOG Rules". Bring proof of insurance.

3rd: Since your vehicle has never been titled in the USA, AZ will require a vehicle inspection (different than a SMOG Inspection):

Vehicle inspections match the vehicle identification number (VIN) to the vehicle ownership documents to determine the identity of the vehicle, and (in some cases) to verify that the vehicle is properly equipped for highway use. You will need three items for an inspection:

Proof of ownership, usually a title
Valid driver license
Receipts or invoices for all component parts that have been repaired or replaced.

Three Inspection Levels
Level II/III inspections are performed at Enforcement and Compliance Division (ECD) Inspection locations.

Level I
Conducted at MVD and authorized third-party offices, or by designated law enforcement officers. Level I inspections are for out-of-state vehicles without proof of title and/or registration, and for bonded titles. This is required only for certain vehicles. Most vehicles are successfully inspected and verified at this level. There is no fee for a Level I inspection conducted at an MVD office. Third Party providers may charge a fee.

Level II
This inspection can only be performed at ADOT ECD inspection locations. Secondary inspection is conducted when unusual circumstances indicate that a secondary VIN should be examined. A Level II inspection is conducted by a specially certified ADOT agent. The fee is $20 and, if a new Arizona number needs to be assigned, a $5 fee will be added. All inspections are performed on a first come first serve basis, no appointments will be scheduled.

In some cases where a Level II inspection is conducted, a review at a later date may determine that a Level III inspection is required. You will then be required to pay an additional $30.

Level III

This inspection can only be performed at ADOT ECD inspection locations.

This highest level inspection is conducted by specially certified ADOT agents, by appointment only. Level III inspections could occur when a vehicle is restored salvage, a recovered stolen vehicle or has been involved in a collision. The fee is $50. All inspections are performed on a first come first serve basis, no appointments will be scheduled.

To help reduce auto theft, restored salvage vehicles require the more comprehensive Level III inspection that is conducted by specially certified officers. Level III is necessary to verify all major component parts which include front end assembly, engine, transmission, as well as rear end assembly for trucks and truck-type vehicles.

A friend of mine was required to have a Level 3 when he imported a 1988 Mini from Japan this fall. They did a search on the VIN to see if it matched the car.

Hope this helps. (AND MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU GO TO THE AZ MVD.)
CHEERS!
Jon
Jon
'61 Morris Mini-Minor
'71 Cooper 'S' MKIII
'76 Mini 1000
'13 MINI Cooper
JPMINITUCSON
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby Joakwin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:45 am

omg thanks for that info

I looked up classic automobile insurance coverage with who I use, and they said I can get this type of coverage and drive a max of 7,500 miles a year

not having to smog it will be nice, im going to work this for the white one

I tuned the single cam to run around 14.7 to 13.5:1 afr, alittle on the rich side but alittle rich is better then lean
Joakwin

Postby Joakwin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Just outside of the port in hueneme, I towed it down to San diego and had bumper to bumper in LA
But the mini is in the states so I'm happy

They charged me $450 for import tax and paperwork ect...
But I'm happy

I plan to stay the night in Yuma because 55mph towing will make the drive real long
Yuma breaks up the trip and I have kids in the Honda pilot as well
Joakwin

Postby JPMINITUCSON » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Safe travels!
Jon
'61 Morris Mini-Minor
'71 Cooper 'S' MKIII
'76 Mini 1000
'13 MINI Cooper
JPMINITUCSON
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby Joakwin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:13 am

I got the white rolling shell here in Tucson,
Have to wait a bit for my engine to come in

In a few weeks I'm going to drive the black one here

I re wired the engine of the black one this weekend
it's now sporting a weber carb as well
Took about 4 hrs to re wire the engine and swap the carb and get it running
Joakwin

Postby Joakwin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:33 am

This up coming weekend I'm going to drive the black/white mini back to tucson
It's going to be my daily driver for the next few months

Had my dad swap the su carb back on because the weber was missing the choke cable brackets and
It doesn't have the vacuum port for the dizzy

I'm just going to stick to the hs4 su for now

I just picked up a k & N air filter for it as well

It's running a stage 1 kit but the last filter setup I got for it never got put on and lost in my dads and brothers junk

I have to do a oil change and I think I can make a bicycle brake cable clamp work for the choke cable end on this su carb
Joakwin

Postby JPMINITUCSON » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:41 am

Bike cable should work. If you need to keep the choke on until it warms up, use a small pair of vice grips.
Jon
Jon
'61 Morris Mini-Minor
'71 Cooper 'S' MKIII
'76 Mini 1000
'13 MINI Cooper
JPMINITUCSON
DMC Member
DMC Member

Postby Joakwin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:20 am

The stock mini choke cable is fine, it's just missing the clamp to hook it up to the su carb

I have a few other carbs but they are in my house hold goods that I won't get to like May

I have a 1 GBP coin that I want to glue to the heater cable knob and choke cable knob
That coin fits perfect inside of the knobs and I think it looks cool

My other white mini, when it still had the 998/auto engine, before the rebuild, I daily drove it until the final drive in the auto box went
I glued 1 GBP coins to those knobs as well
So it's kind of my thing I like to do
Joakwin

Postby JPMINITUCSON » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:40 am

Jon
'61 Morris Mini-Minor
'71 Cooper 'S' MKIII
'76 Mini 1000
'13 MINI Cooper
JPMINITUCSON