Key FOB FYI

Discuss anything MiNi related!

Key FOB FYI

Postby AIR FORCE ONE MINI » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:43 am

Just learned a $225 lesson.

After misplacing our 2nd set Mini Comfort Key (did find it) decided to purchase a 3rd key fob as backup. Went to Mini Tempe, told parts guy that I wanted another fob. OK, made in New Jersey, be here by Thursday, $225. Made appointment for Friday Noon. Two hrs later, all done, $120 charge for programming. As we walked back to the counter, service tech says "the mechanic canceled out your Fob at home". SAY WHAT! Says, "you can only have TWO Fobs for a Mini". Can't have 3!!!

Now, at no time did anyone at Mini mention or thought to ask, say, anything on this to me. I did read my manual, which states "you may purchase additional units or replacements". Those 2 words - additional unitS, that "S" on the end doesn't tell me that you can only have 2! Nowhere in the 2008 Clubman S manual can I find any wording on a key fob limit.

To Mini Tempe credit, Service Manager wrote off the programming charge. But, I now have a new Key Fob that is a light weight paperweight, maybe start a new trend as a nose ring! Although the metal key does work, just can't start the Mini. First time in my car life that a car company limits my choice. What, Mini computer can't handle 3 fobs?
AIR FORCE ONE MINI
DMC Member
DMC Member

Re: Key FOB FYI

Postby CooperS » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:47 am

That's pretty cheap, mini Tempe quoted me 500 total for the key and programming...both dealers are owned by Penske
but they vary in prices a lot...
CooperS

Postby 66Cooper » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 pm

I have three for my 2004 R53 and Debbie has 3 for her 2012 Countryman.
Barney
Associate Broker Lauer Realty Tucson AZ
Buying or Selling Real Estate in Southern Arizona? Contact me.
BRG/W Classic Mini, 1275, 12" SAXONs
'04 EB S, B&B exh., 15% pulley, K&N Typhoon, M7 STB
66Cooper
DMC Treasurer
DMC Treasurer

Postby DB Cooper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 pm

And they all work. MINI of Tucson got my Countryman key for me and programmed it.
Took Caroline into shop for work and my keys got unprogrammed for some reason they reset ALL three for me
Debbie
Austin Seven
'66 BRG Cooper
Aussie Mini
03 IB JCW
'04 EB Cooper S
'12 Countryman S
DB Cooper
DMC Co-Chair
DMC Co-Chair

Postby Joemama » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm in need of a FOB with the convenience feature function. 0ne of mine died. Any interest in selling?
Joemama
DMC Member
DMC Member

Return to General Board